19th February 2017
– Dieppe Raid 24th / 25th June 2017
Hotel bookings will be arranged on 1st March. Please let Steve Bullen know your requirements before end February.
10th January 2017
The Club now owns a hard-cover bike travel case that members can hire for £10 per trip. To book it just contact Steve Bullen.
8th January 2017
- Exciting year ahead – the Club’s 70th!
- Membership fees are due now
- Club Night Monday 9th January at The Gate Inn, Honeybourne at 8.00pm
21st December 2016
We have decided not to proceed with our Social Evening on 21st January because events have conspired against us. Our thanks to all who were keen to make this occasion happen. We will try again later in 2017.
BBC H&W Radio 20th December 2016
Steve & Amie 1:40:50 to 1:45:50
News 2:02:34 to 2:03:15
Steve, Chris & Helen 2:20:06 to 2:26:12
EW Brief 18th December 2016
- Each member will receive an EW Velopac on payment of annual membership fee (while stocks last!)
- Velodrome 22nd April 2017 – Recommended event. Please state your interest soonest.
- A Merry Christmas to you all
EW Brief 4th Nov. 2016
The Club rides throughout the winter months. However, when temperatures approach freezing (4C and lower) ride leaders may choose not to lead the rides. In this situation riders will form their own groups taking account of the conditions. Freezing in itself is not necessarily a problem in continuing dry conditions, but when combined with wetness or moisture in sheltered spots can be very dangerous.
EW Brief 27th Nov. 2016
- Thank you to everyone who attended the AGM despite the poor weather.
- Fiona Layzell-Williams has stepped up as Club Secretary. A big “Thank You” to Richard who has done a great job for some years now.
- We need a Treasurer. Martin would like to step down from committee work after years of sterling service for the Club.
- Strava is now on the website: “Road” > “Strava”.
- A big thank you to Fiona and Keith who have stepped up as Social Secretaries. We enjoyed their first event on Saturday at Food of India, Broadway – a lovely evening.
A big “Thank You” to our new Social Secretaries (Fiona & Keith) for a great Wheelers evening in Broadway (26th November 2016).
Donation to the Air Ambulance 21st Nov.
EW Brief 20th Nov.
- Please attend the Club’s AGM on Monday 21st November at Wickhamford Village Hall, 7.30 for 8.00pm. Refreshments will be available and Club kit will be on sale.
- 2017 Membership cards are now available from John Jenkins
EW Brief 13th Nov.
- A big thank you to Steve Tarling for another successful Cycle Jumble.
- AGM 21st
- Opportunity to train as an accredited marshal for British Cycling.
- All groups will stop riding at 11.00 for silence.
- Xmas ride to Upton Marina 18th December (all rides)
EW Brief 30th Sept.
Events for your diary in November:
7th Nov. – Next Club Night
12th Nov. – Cycle Jumble
21st Nov. – Wattbike taster
21st Nov. AGM
EW Brief 2nd October
– A big thank you to the ladies of Ebrington for an excellent coffee stop for “Reach for the Skies” and other rides through Ebrington today.
– Club Night is tomorrow 3rd October at 8.00pm. Venue: The Gate Inn, Honeybourne.
EW Brief 18th September
– Evesham Wheelers did a great job in being at the centre of organisation for the Evesham Cyclefest in its 3rd year.
– Chris Boardman led out the sportives (40 and 88 miles), and EW colours were prominent in pictures published by our local press.
– Plans are already underway for Evesham Cyclefest 2017 when EW will take on a more high profile role in supporting this important local event.
EW Brief 28th August
– If you have recently ordered new Club kit please collect it from Carol this week.
– Members of Evesham Wheelers are at the heart of the organisation of the Evesham Cyclefest on 10 / 11th September. Can you help with marshalling to ensure the success of this important event?
– All members should ensure that we do not block the pavement when we meet on Sundays, as we did again this week.
EW Brief; 21st August
– Social Night January 21st January at the rowing club:
A lot of work by a small group of members made our last social night a great success. Please can all members contact Liz Coxwell to offer their help in some small way for our next event e.g. cooking, setting tables & chairs, decorating the room, bringing a pudding, preparing a quiz, clearing up after the event etc.
EW Brief: 1st August
– It has been agreed that Wednesday rides will in future leave at 09.15 starting 3rd August.
EW Brief: 31st July
– Club Audax is Sunday 7th August from Wickhamford village hall.
– All members to read “Ride Etiquette” on the Club website.
– Club night is Monday 1st August at the Gate Inn, Honeybourne at 8.00pm
EW Brief: 3rd July
2: Club Night
3: Time Trial
4: Sunday Meeting Point
5: Day ride 10th July
1: Congratulations to John James for organising such a thoroughly enjoyable trip to Dieppe last week.
2: Club night is Monday 4th July: 8.00pm at the Gate Inn, Honeybourne.
3: Thursday 14th July is the interclub time trial starting from the Queen Elizabeth pub in Elmley Castle. All members are encouraged to ride this event.
4: All members are reminded of the location of the Sunday meeting point (the bus stop outside OHL, High Street, Evesham, WR11 4DA), and the need to keep the pavement clear for pedestrians etc to pass easily through our group.
5: Phil Cooper will lead a day ride for the “C” group on Sunday 10th July,
EW Brief: 6th June
The Dieppe Raid:
John James has confirmed we now have 44 members entered for the weekend, with five arranging their own transport and accommodation. The cost will be £80 per person for B&B in the Hotel de l’Europe on the nights of Saturday and Sunday 25th and 26th June. There is an additional cost of £25 per person for those travelling down on Friday 24th and staying at the Eastbourne Youth Hostel. John James will collect the monies due during the trip. If payment is to be by cheque please can they be made payable to “A W J James”.
EW Brief – 8th May
– An excellent Cycle Jumble yesterday. Congratulations to Steve Tarling and all his merry helpers, and all those members who supported this event.
– Club night is Monday 9th May at 8.00pm at the Gate Inn, Honeybourne
EW Brief 13th March
– An excellent Road Race today (results to follow). Congratulations to everybody involved in producing an event that once again impressed riders and officials.
– The Dieppe Raid is proving to be a very popular excursion. Contact John James or Steve Bullen soonest to book your place if you haven’t already done so.
– Coffee stop for Sunday 30th March is the Trailquest HQ at Lowsonford, Henley-in-Arden.
EW Brief 28th February
– 6th March
All rides will leave Evesham as usual and go to Wixford to enjoy Liz’s tasty coffee stop. Riders can then choose to ride the Club’s first self-timed time trial – a great opportunity to get the feel of a time trial without having to compete with the big boys.
– 7th March
Club Night at the Gate Inn, Honeybourne from 8.00pm
– 13th March
Our annual Road Race is now fully booked (80 riders), so come and enjoy this exciting event and help out if you can.
EW Brief 14th February
– On March 6th all runs will go to Wixford where Liz and co. will be providing refreshments. From there riders can opt to take part in a 35-mile self-timed time trial. A map of the route will be on the website next week.
– Helen Russell will be leading a warm-down / stretching class in Evesham for a donation of £5 per person to her charity, probably in April. More details to follow shortly.
EW Brief 7th February
– The Dieppe Raid 2016 is going to be a big event for the Club this year. Details are now available on the website. John James is masterminding our attendance at this event so contact John even if you are making your own arrangements to be there: [email protected]
– “Group Riding” and “Ride Etiquette” have been reviewed and updated on the website. Please take time to read this and feed any thoughts back to Steve Bullen.
– Mudguards are essential kit during winter months. If you are riding without mudguards then move to the back of the group so that you do not spray others with mud and water.
EW Brief 10th January 2016
– New for 2016: “EW Briefs” to replace “Steve’s Briefs”
– A catchy name needed for our 2nd Cycle Jumble. Steve Tarling is now organising our next Cycle Jumble at Crawford Hall, Bidford on 16th April. He would like all members to think of a good name to promote this event.
– The Dieppe Raid weekend is proving of real interest to members. John James has reserved accommodation and is now awaiting ferry details that are due this week. Please liaise directly with John for travel and accommodation requirements.
Steve’s Briefs 6th December 2015
– Club night tomorrow (Monday 7th December) at the Gate Inn, Honeybourne at 8.00pm
– Winter Club clothing available – great Xmas presents!
– Thanks again to Liz and her team for putting on a great Social Evening
Steve’s Brief 8th November:
– The Club AGM is on Monday 16th November. Everybody is welcome!
– Liz is organising our Social Evening for 21st November, and she would like our support:
o Any puddings
o Any raffle donations (bring to AGM or on the night)
o Someone to sell raffle tickets and call numbers
o Final food prep and serving up.
o Someone to assist Carol decorating the room.
Steve’s Brief 18th October
-Congratulations to Steve Tarling for organising a Cycle Jumble that raised £535 for the Air Ambulance.
– When members pay their Membership Fees for 2015/2016 they will receive a new membership card and a QR sticker with the Club logo (in case of emergency details for emergency services).
Steve’s Brief 11th October:
– Tickets for our Social Evening are now on sale at £10 each (£5 for children) available from Liz Coxwell, Carol Hall or Norman Smith – or contact Steve Bullen. Any help with puddings and raffle prizes would be much appreciated.
– The Autumn / Winter Club clothing range is now available, including Gilets that are warm and showerproof.
Steve’s Brief 4th October:
– Great weather today for cycling, and thanks to the ladies of Ebrington who put on another fine selection of cakes and drinks for the “Reach for the Skies” challenge.
– Hands-off – If you have a need to ride with both hands off the handlebar (changing layers, stretching back etc) then move to the back of the group. NEVER do this within the group.
Steve’s Brief 13th September:
– We will be putting on a background slide show at our social event on 21st November. If you have any pictures featuring EW members (new and old) can you please loan these to Steve Bullen. Photographs will be returned almost immediately.
– Our Cycle Jumble is confirmed for 17th October. Tables are free to EW members, so clear out your unused / unwanted cycling paraphernalia and bring it along to sell. Tables are £10 for non-members. We expect visitors from all over the country.
Steve’s Brief 6th September:
– Monday 7th September is Evesham Wheelers Club Night at the Gate Inn,
Honeybourne. We look forward to seeing you there.
– Ebrington’s “Reach for the Skies” event on 4th October will again be the Club run and coffee stop on that day. We look forward to the excellent offering from the Ebrington ladies, and a challenging hilly ride.
Steve’s Brief 30th August:
– A date for your diaries! Liz is planning a Club social evening to be held at Evesham Rowing Club on Saturday 21st November. Details to follow later.
– If you decide to leave a ride for any reason, please ensure that you get a message to the ride leader beforehand. This ensures that the group will not be waiting unnecessarily for you further down the road. Equally, be aware that a rider may drop behind without their calls being heard.
Steve’s Brief 23rd August:
– The Club will be holding a Cycle Jumble on 17th October at the Crawford Hall, Bidford. This is one of a series of national cycle jumbles. It is the initiative of Steve Tarling who has the unanimous support of your committee. Steve will need lots of support (teas, car park, entrance money etc) from our members.
– Our Sunday rides will always leave on time for all groups. We meet at 09.00 for
an 09.15 depart.
Steve’s Brief 9th August:
– Last week’s Audax was a resounding success with 132 riders (77 started the 110km; 20 for the Neville Chanin; 20 on the 4-LeafClover 202; and about 15 on the 50km). Pete Hutchinson and his team of volunteers are to be warmly congratulated on their efforts, and generous thanks from all riders for the excellent refreshments, speedy service and effective car parking control where the field was completely full. Well done everybody!
– All riders are reminded to read “Ride Etiquette” in the “Club Runs” section of the Club website. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns then contact Steve Bullen.
– If you need Club kit in the coming weeks than contact Steve Bullen who will take on this role for a short period.
Steve’s Brief 19th July
Helen Russell has invited Club members to join her Welcome Home celebrations in Bromsgrove on 14th August following her TdF1DayAhead ride. Your committee have decided to book an 18-seat coach for the evening. There will be no charge to members. Please contact Steve Bullen if you would like to book a seat on this coach.
“14th August 2015
7pm until late
Victoria Club, Bromsgrove Sporting Football Ground, Birmingham Road, Bromsgrove, B61 0DR
Hosted by ITV4 Tour de France presenter Ned Boulting
Q&A with ex-England footballer and One Day Ahead team captain Geoff Thomas
Guests from world of cycling and football
Food, Music, Auction, Raffle
Tickets only £10! Proceeds to Cure Leukaemia
To order tickets email [email protected]
Or call 07516 375 302”
Steve’s Briefs 14th June:
– After their rides today Evesham Wheelers are invited to join Helen Russell and young Aimee Lane for a photo opportunity in support of Cure Leukaemia. Helen is preparing for the One Day Ahead Tour de France, and event leader Geoff Thomas is expected to be at Evesham Country Park to support Helen.
– Biking Broadway is expected to be a fun event for all the family on Thursday evening 18th June. The High Street will be closed for cycle racing between 6pm and 8pm. You can book race entry on-line http://rileyandthomas.co.uk/biking-broadway/. You can choose either to race as an individual or as a team of three. Let’s see the Club’s colours in attendance and getting involved in the fun.
Steve’s Brief 19th April:
– After crossing major roads, and before continuing the ride, the group should double-check that all riders are present, and that nobody has been unable to make the crossing.
– When groups decide to join up (e.g. B1 and A) faster riders on the front should move further back into the group and adopt the groups natural speed so that all riders can enjoy the ride at an acceptable pace.
Steve’s Brief 5th April
– A Happy Easter to all members and their families.
– With a heavy season of Sportives and Charity Rides ahead members are asked to take care because many riders in these events do not have the riding disciplines that Club members do. Expect the unexpected, take care, and have fun.
Steve’s Brief 8th March
– All marshals and volunteers will meet at Inkberrow Village Hall at 08.45 on Sunday 15th March. Everybody is welcome, we need your support to ensure the success of this important event.
– Best wishes to all our ladies on International Ladies Day.
– Our Reliability Ride on 22nd March will start from, and finish at, Evesham Rowing Club.
Steve’s Brief 1st March
– Our Road Race on 15th March has been oversubscribed by 50% !
We need volunteers to marshal the race. As there will be no A, B or C runs that day we encourage all members to volunteer and, of course, to enjoy a great race.
– Many of us enjoy fast downhill riding, and sometimes our enthusiasm can cause us to be blind to the risks. A recent ride highlighted some of these risks:
Signals from riders in front often cannot be seen or heard at speed.
Riders on the front usually have clear vision, but those behind have limited views and probably cannot see potential dangers.
When the bunch spreads across the road it becomes a danger to vehicles coming up the hill.
Pedestrians and horses can appear on both sides of the road, and on winding roads it is often impossible to stop effectively.
The sight of a large group of riders can be impressive, but it can be intimidating when approaching head-on at speed.
Road surfaces on hills can be quite variable particularly during winter months and wet periods. One small pothole, loose grit or mud can have dire consequences.
Please ride to protect the group and to be respectful to other road users, particularly on steep, winding narrow lanes.
Steve’s Brief 15th Feb
– Norman has had the operation on his lower spine and is now back home.
– Horses have better hearing than their riders. When approaching give a loud normal voice warning “We are behind you!” and the horse will be aware of your presence. Repeat when closer so that the rider can hear and prepare. When passing give the horse a wide berth because, if startled, it will shy into you before moving away.
-Graeme’s Quick Guide to horse types. “Thin tall horses with shaved patterns are hunters/racers and ready to bolt at the slightest, so be extra cautious. Big fat things with fluffy feet will hardly flinch. Do talk to the rider as you pass. It settles the horse and promotes good feeling. Generally riders fear bikes more than cars, which is a shame as Sundays should be for walkers/runners cyclists and horses and we are all as one against the Sunday shopper.”
Steve’s Brief 8th Feb
– Norman Smith has finally had his illness diagnosed and will have an operation on his spine this week.
– The Vale magazine has another great cycling article this month “On your Bikes” featuring three Evesham Wheelers.
– Our 2015 strategy to try to create a local cycling track is gaining momentum with various of people / groups discussing how to set up an Evesham Velodrome. Vale Cycles, Port Street have a petition for you to sign to demonstrate the level of support for this project.
Steve’s Brief 1st Feb
– Club evening Monday 2nd February a the Gate Inn, Honeybourne from 8.00pm
– Reminder to all members and friends to look out for possible sites for a cycle track /velodrome. All ideas welcomed. There is a rising swell of interest from clubs and individuals to make an Evesham Velodrome a reality in 2015/6. You can register your interest / support at Vale Cycles in Port Street. Let’s make this important project happen!
– Evesham Wheelers are heavily involved in a new cycling project “Cycle Evesham Vale” (CEV). This group will work with local authorities, groups and business partners to improve cycling infrastructure and facilities, including designated routes to link villages and communities with the town and beyond. Read all about it in this months Vale Magazine.
Steve’s Brief 25th Jan
Strategy for 2015:
Your committee have agreed that we should consolidate the substantial progress made in 2014, and fully investigate the feasibility for a tarmac course for both racing and child riding instruction. All members of the Club are asked to focus on identifying possible locations through personal and work/business contacts. We could then investigate each possibility with the expectation of identifying ten possible options. One of these might be deliverable by the end of 2015.
Steve’s Brief 11th Jan 2015
The committee have decided that the Dieppe Raid http://www.dieppetour.com/index.php should become an annual Club event as it was started by Evesham Wheeler Neville Channin in 1972, and it provides the opportunity to cycle different distances, or even walk (short or longer). Easy to get to and a great social occasion. See http://www.dieppetour.com/event.php for details of this event between 27-29th June 2015.
Group riding: Do not actively encourage vehicles to pass. Drivers must make their own decisions, and we should be careful not to do anything that could place us in any blame scenario.
Steve’s Brief 21st Dec 2014
Many thanks to Carol, our President, who once again organised a most enjoyable Christmas party cycle ride with coffee at the Three Ways, Mickleton and lunch at the Round of Grass, Badsey.
The Club rides throughout the winter months. However, when temperatures approach freezing (3C and lower) ride leaders may choose not to lead the rides. In this situation riders will form their own groups taking account of the conditions. Freezing in itself is not necessarily a problem in continuing dry conditions, but when combined with wetness or moisture in sheltered spots can be very dangerous.
My best wishes to each of you for 2015.
Steve’s Brief 07.12.14
The Club website will now be the single-point contact for all information within the Club.
Any problems, use “Contacts” to get a message to Steve who will respond quickly. Please do not telephone committee members when the information is readily available on the website.
Steve’s Brief 30.11.14
Substantial AGM majority decision for the new meeting place after consideration of several options recommended by members.
Steve’s Brief 23.11.14
During the recent AGM members requested that Steve B continue his recent pre-ride brief on Sundays as this gave riders a nice feeling of being more involved in the Club. Steve agreed, and a summary of “Steve’s Brief” will be now be posted on the website and Facebook each week.
Steve’s Brief 16.11.14
Importance of members attending the AGM.